Hello again. As promised, I'll now expand on my personal beliefs, interests, and agenda(?) for the next two or three years.
My thesis must answer two questions; What is a successful adult, and how will I become one? The way I see it, to be a successful adult I must find what I'm good at and use my skills to contribute to society. As for self care, I'll need to acquire practical skills such as cooking, cleaning, getting and keeping a job, and I'll need to understand economics much better than I currently do. That is, I have to know how banks work, how to do taxes, how to pay bills, etc.
I already know more or less what my skills are. I can read and write fairly decently. I can sing well and am learning to play the piano and the violin, but that's more of a hobby than a promising career. As for my interests, I'd like to learn ASL and Italian. I'd like to travel. You can already tell I'm a music lover. I also have an affinity for photography, though I don't have very good equipment for such an endeavor.
I've thought of a career for myself which would make good use of my writing and photography skills, while simultaneously satisfying my desire to get out and see the world; Investigative journalism. Journalists, particularly reporters, are tasked with going out to places where big things are happening and providing news coverage. This would be perfect for me.
When I graduate, I'm going to take a year or so at a community college, and transfer to real college when I'm ready. I will get my Bachelor's degree in journalism, and apply for an internship somewhere. I don't know where yet, but that's something to be worked out. With enough experience, I'll be able to become a true employee of a journalistic organization.
Of course, as of today my job is figuring out how to do the things I want to do. As I haven't been attending PFS for very long, I don't yet have all of that sorted. What I do know is, there's an ASL dictionary here from which I can study, this blog will help me improve my writing skills with practice, and I have many resources at my disposal if I should ever need them.
There's also the question of what happens if I fail my graduation essay. I have a backup plan. I will study hard in a variety of areas and obtain a GED, which as far as colleges are concerned is almost as good as a diploma. PFS has a variety of books which should help me learn the material.
This is how I will reach my destination of stability.
No comments:
Post a Comment