Here it is; the first of many posts to come. I suppose I should get a few things out of the way. First of all, my name is Bella. I'm sixteen, and yesterday I was officially enrolled in the Philly Free School. Currently I'm undergoing a trial period which I'm told will conclude in five days' time, at which point I'll be contractually obligated to stay for at least this year. This was decided at my admissions meeting yesterday.
Incidentally, the meeting was where I learned that graduation works differently here. Rather than completing a test, or simply lasting out a few more years, I will write a paper detailing my definition of a successful, functioning adult. I will explain how I plan to turn myself into someone befitting of such a title, and I will do it eloquently and professionally. Additionally I will submit information about my life before, during, and after PFS, highlighting where I came from and where I plan on going, sort of like that Cotton Eyed Joe song.
You might be wondering where this blog fits into the picture. This is a bit like a web journal. You see, I'm not entirely sure where I'm going or how to get there. Now is the time to figure that out, and seeing as a big chunk of my thesis must be about what I do here, I thought it would be helpful to take notes. I'll hop on a computer every so often and post updates about my situation, things I've done, lessons I've learned.
There's a bit more to cover, such as my interests and the vaguely compiled skeleton of a plan I have for the school year and life after graduation, but that's another post entirely. I'll most likely get around to adding that information later today, but it's time for my lunch now. Here's where this post comes to a close.
No comments:
Post a Comment